Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pray before You Eat (His Word)

Do not My words do good
To the one walking uprightly?
(Micah 2:7)


The Lord has assured His people that His Word is given to them for their good - even those so-called "hard sayings." This, of course, brings to mind our concurrent obligation to “in humility receive the word implanted” (Jas 1:21-25).

One essential to putting aside all filthiness, all that remains of wickedness, and cultivating humility, so that we are ready to receive His Word, is to pray. Whether we are preparing to hear the Scripture preached from the pulpit, taught from the lectern, or to read it for ourselves in private, earnest prayer is essential.

One helpful aid is the biblical acronym developed by John Piper in When I Don't Desire God, IOUS:
Incline my heart to Your testimonies, And not to dishonest gain (Ps 119:36)

Open my eyes, that I may behold Wonderful things from Your law (Ps 119:18)

Unite my heart to fear Your name (Ps 86:11)

Satisfy us in the morning with Your lovingkindness (Ps 90:14)
I have pasted this my Bible as a continual reminder. How will you prayerfully prepare to receive His Word?

HT: DG

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about implementing something like this on Saturday night. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete