Thursday, June 17, 2010

Piper: Is Church Membership Important?

Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it (1 Cor 12:27)



As usual, John Piper is perceptive and right on point. Do not miss his, in our opinion, accurate diagnosis of the resistance to church membership in American evangelicalism:
If you want to say, "OK, I believe the New Testament says, 'Be a part of a community, give yourself to ministering there and receiving ministry there, and advancing the cause of the gospel there, and upholding the name of Jesus there, and doing mission there,' and I'm a part of that," then to resist putting your name on the line for that is probably not a biblical conviction. It's probably an American, independent, give-me-elbow-room, don't-get-in-my-face-too-often conviction, which I don't think is biblical.

No comments:

Post a Comment