Friday, December 30, 2011

Fighting under the Prince of Peace

The annual cleaning of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the (likely) traditional spot where Jesus was crucified and buried, degenerated into a fight on Wednesday between Greek Orthodox and Armenian priests.

You can watch it unfold:



Read the story from the Israeli paper, Haaretz (HT: BiblePlaces)

When I saw this, it reminded me of my own visit to the Holy Sepulchre. While reflecting on the death of Christ, I found myself quite suddenly inserted in a conflict between a desperate old woman and an angry Armenian priest (see Luke 20:46-47). For a brief moment, I thought I was going to have to tell my wife to run and go for his beard, but fortunately it was diffused before it came to that.

Though this fight is further proof that Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37) remains relevant, even at the spot where He died for those who cannot possibly justify themselves. By God's grace, I hope to expound it on the first day of next year.


NB, also coming in 2012 are some significant changes to this blog. So you six readers, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment