Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tarring the Ark

This weekend, we're going to look at some "particularly helpful" statements by Mark Dever in a recent interview on life and ministry.
Sometimes I feel like I’m being called to tar the Ark before the Flood. Our world is just increasingly secular and churches that are just trying to be as much like the world as possible, I fear, are very leaky arks. I fear that they are just going to sink and be spiritually worthless and be spiritual tombs. I think that the rise of secularism will cut down on nominal Christianity and will encourage the clarity of what truly is the Gospel, and the effects that it has, because the worth of nominal Christianity will just continue to decline in the culture broadly. As the general cultural perception turns on evangelical Christianity, I think we are just seeing all the more clearly our need to have a positive vision for the church as distinct from the culture.
But you are a CHOSEN RACE, A ROYAL PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR GOD’S OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; for you once were NOT A PEOPLE, but now you are THE PEOPLE OF GOD; you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY (I Pet 2:9-10).

No comments:

Post a Comment